Meet the face of contemporary ballet theater.
Ballet Fantastique accepts Northwest, national, and international company audition applications for company and apprentice/trainee positions.
In today's world, we believe that it is no longer enough to be “simply” a dance company in the mold of generations of dance companies gone before. Instead, Ballet Fantastique operates under the belief that companies must powerfully versatile—committed to building new audiences for the arts—just as they are profoundly invested—committed to working together to do what it takes to bring world-class new art into being. And so, we are artistically bold and unapologetically tenacious, carving new niches for our art and building passionate new audiences for dance in the process. We are refreshingly humble, recognizing that each of us is an essential and contributing member of the team who makes the work that we do possible. We have fierce artistic integrity, but we are also open. We strive to continuously improve. We are collaborative, we are inclusive, and we actively promote diversity in all aspects of our organization.
Just so, Ballet Fantastique believes that it is no longer enough to be “simply” a dancer. We seek a new company members eager to grow as we grow, contributing to and accelerating the success of the organization we share. We seek new company members with top-notch technicality, individual artistic voice (but great team spirit), a fabulous work ethic, a strong sense of humor, a lot of personality, and an insatiable appetite for what's next.
Ballet Fantastique creates, premieres, and performs all-original contemporary ballet theater with all-live music. Competitive applicants will demonstrate technical proficiency in both classical and contemporary vocabularies, powerful artistry, impeccable musicality, and fearless acting.
We seek diverse dancers. Vaganova experience preferred, though not required. US citizenship/green card or work permit a plus.
We encourage dancers interested in auditioning for us to learn more about Ballet Fantastique and our all-original contemporary dance theater repertoire.
Additional skills of interest (desired but not requisite): Choreography, arts education, arts administration, dance instruction (ballet, contemporary, modern, jazz, pas de deux, and/or hip-hop).
A non-profit organization deeply committed to diversity, Ballet Fantastique does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national/ethnic origin, or any other protected status.
19-20 CONTRACT OPENINGS
Detailed information coming soon!
Male applicants: Preferably 5’9” or taller
Female applicants: Preferably 5'2"-5'7"
COMPANY ARTISTS: competitive 30-35 wk contract commensurate with experience // all live music // touring // benefits
APPRENTICES: 30-35 wk contract commensurate with experience // all live music // touring // additional training + coaching benefits
National Audition Tour 2019
Detailed information coming soon! Cities, locations, and times TBA. In 2018, we visited:
San Francisco, CA
NEW YORK, NY
Contact email@example.com to inquire about BFan auditioning in your city!
Audition Fee: $20 at time of audition
$15 with pre-registration (closes 24 hours prior to start of audition)
Note: Dancers who plan to audition for Ballet Fantastique in one of our audition cities are encouraged to preregister in advance of their audition. While preregistration is not required, it is strongly recommended and there are a few benefits for those who do preregister, including: A discounted audition fee. Pre-registration closes 24 hours prior to start of audition.
Apprenticeship Fellowship Program
Ballet Fantastique is proud to unveil our new Fellowship program for emerging professional artists. Fellowship positions are open to 10 exceptional dancers ages 18+ each season (dancers ages 15-17 may request to be invited to audition).
Online Application Process
As a small company, every dancer on our roster plays a critical role in our identity. We want to know who you are, what you have to contribute, and why you want to dance with Ballet Fantastique. Pointe Magazine's "Immersive Audition" article summarizes our philosophy and our unique approach to finding the next perfect dancer and personality match for our bold, kind, tight-knit group.
BFan Online Audition Process Part I:
Email (preferred) or mail us the following (firstname.lastname@example.org or ATTN: Jessica Jaye Mackinson, 960 Oak, Eugene, OR 97401).
- Cover letter
- Resume with references, including variations performed. Teaching resume optional (including syllabus/level/ages taught, locations, and position duration)
- Complete Ballet Fantastique Audition Form
- Link to your online video demo reel, classwork (barre/center; women should also include pointe). Video reel should also include 1-3 variations (classical + contemporary), and choreographic samples, if available. Please show your best work and range of strengths. NOTE: Because we are a dance theater company performing narratives from playful to tragic, we love to see your dramatic prowess, range, and stage presence.
- Dance photos and headshot
- $10 fee to be paid via PayPal
PLEASE NOTE: Audition materials will not be returned.
BFan Audition Process Part II:
Choreographer-Producers Donna Marisa and Hannah Bontrager review all Ballet Fantastique Audition Process Part I candidates and identify a short list of top finalists, usually no later than the early spring of each year. These candidates will be invited to participate in Ballet Fantastique's Audition Process Part II:
- We'll contact you regarding your status as a finalist.
- Artistic Director Donna Marisa Bontrager will hand-select a piece of original Ballet Fantastique repertoire for you to learn (~1-3 minutes) to show your ability to work within our range of unique work. We will email you a choreography video link.
- If you have not already, you will be asked to provide a minimum of 1-2 letters of recommendation and professional references, and to complete our Ballet Fantastique Company Finalist Questionnaire.
- You'll be invited to an immersive audition/visit to Ballet Fantastique's dance center, during which we will spend 1-2 days with you. You will take a Vaganova company class, understudy a rehearsal for a current project, have lunch or dinner with a few of our dancers, and rehearse your assigned BFan choreography with Donna, during which she will coach you in the variation to see your working style. We'll work with you to schedule your visit.
NOTE: In special circumstances, we do allow finalist dancers to participate in a video interview and to email us a video link to their BFan choreography assignment if they are absolutely unable to visit us in person (e.g., international finalist candidates).